Living a Fulfilling and Purposeful Life in Pursuit of a Career
A 2020 Deloitte study found that nearly 67% of Millennials will quit their jobs within two years and create their own businesses. Some of the top reasons were a lack of happiness, adequate compensation, opportunities for growth, or alignment with their core values.
“This has a means to an end….”
“Once I have enough savings and pay off my student loan, I can figure out my next move.”
“All I need is a few more years of work experience on my resume before I figure out what I really want to do.”
On average, Americans spend approximately 1/3 of their week on work-related tasks, and this does not include:
- Time lost contemplating how much you dislike your job and not working towards your dreams.
- Recoup time from mental, emotional, and physical exhausting from the daily 9–5 grind.
- Your time and investment in therapy to self-justify your lack of action.
- The hijacked time from your family and friends from you needing to be heard
The bottom line is that work is approximately 1/3 of your life at best and 1/2 at worst. Your job is where you spend the majority of your time and energy. That’s correct; unfortunately, for most, it’s not your family, hobbies, or playtime.
Could have. Should have. Would have.
Here are the 4 main reasons why your life and career are moving at a sluggish pace:
- Big Dreams & Aspirations — are your goals and aspirations larger than what your job or career can provide you? It’s worth mentioning that I’m an achiever and visionary. Understanding this was key for me. No matter how well I did in all my performance reviews, bonuses, and salary increases, I was always unsatisfied and felt undervalued. True freedom came when I realized that no job would pay my worth or meet my need for innovation. It was up to me ONLY to make these dreams come true.
- Work-Life Balance — how much time do you want to dedicate to work? Being self-employed has been the only way I’ve been able to walk the thin line between boredom and overstimulation to create a harmonious flexible schedule. Having the flexibility to navigate my day-by-day with ease, knowing that I can self-care, take a break, work from anywhere in the World, or decide what type of work to prioritize based on my personal needs, has been a game-changer in increasing my creativity, self-confidence, and overall happiness.
- Purposeful Living — what are you passionate about? Having a bottom line is important, just as what matters the most to YOU. Focusing on the ‘why’ of what we pursue in life is underrated. When we have a purpose, we focus our time and intention on the things that fill our tanks (i.e., emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually). When we are living our purpose, we don’t seek out happiness as a destination any longer. We experience it every moment of the journey.
- Valued-Based Living — how are you living your values? First off, when was the last time you did a full review of your values in every aspect of your life? This is key to feeling successful while making decisions about a life congruent with your best Self. How will you know where you are heading if you aren’t clear of who you are? When you are clear of who you are and what you are about, it’s easy to establish the habits that will lead you to a healthier and grounded life.
Now ask yourself this…
At what cost are you staying in a job that is not aligned with your values and goals?
You got this. I believe in you.
For more useful coaching tools and tips, sign up for our biweekly newsletter.
Spirit Panda Coaching has been helping young adults who struggle with finding their way after college to integrate into work and life with confidence and direction while leveraging the best of their sensitivity temperaments. As an HSP Business Coach, I am trained in guiding clients to a state of self-empowerment and success. All coaching sessions are remote, and you can schedule a 15min complimentary consultation here.
You might like: